Friday, June 24, 2016

A Lazy Evening Stroll


Watching sunset and the changing colors of the sky has always been fascinating for me. Can sit quietly and spend hours just looking at the changing colors of the sky.

Few days ago, I took a lazy stroll around Victoria Memorial. It’s a beautiful marble building dedicated to the memories of Queen Victoria. Its one of the most serene and beautiful places in Kolkata. Beautiful white structure, lush green all around, clean roads, huge green playground beside it. It’s just beautiful. I went there just after the sunset. It’s called the blue hour. 

It was getting dark. It was so wonderful to walk quietly at that stretch on a summer evening. Comforting breeze all around me. A magical drama between light and shadow. It was nostalgic. In today's busy and concrete life we actually miss being close to our emotions.

 What we are, what we want - we hardly know. We are much covered with what others want us to be! 

Love! I wanted to talk about love or simply feel the essence of it. I don’t remember when was the last time I walked with someone, holding hands in such evening. Do you remember any such evening? Probably without talking much, just quietly walking and enjoying being together. These days we date or meet mostly at malls, pubs, restaurants or may be inside our rooms. And there is nothing wrong in it but are we drifting away from the basics?

Going back to my childhood or say teenage, the days without WhatsApp or Facebook or any kind of social media. Not even mobile phones. Couples used to wait to meet each other with their limited communications. They didn’t have to check every half an hour if they are meeting. I think promises were much more meaningful then. Commitments made some sense. Trust was meant to be maintained. Not as fragile as I see them today. 

I loved the quietness - I felt it was only me who existed in that moment. That hopelessly romantic me who is somehow lost or probably too scared to reveal the romantic side. Love today has a different meaning. We fall in love with much calculation these days! Am sure, many of you feel the same way!

Just image the days, two loving souls after a busy day meeting in a place like Victoria Memorial or may be some banks of river in Kolkata - just to sit together and see the sunset or just to be together. Thank God that was the era much before WhatsApp or any other social media. We still have much to talk when we met. We have so much to express. We had so much to share.

Contrary to today's scenario when we meet and keep busy with our smart phones. We just keep busy checking in or clicking a selfie together and post it. It’s more important now to show the world rather than doing it from the core of the soul. I loved that era when we had enough time to read books, write letters, talk a walk! spending time with friends and loved ones - without looking into the phones. So are we getting disconnected while trying to be connected all the time? Are we lacking soul when communicating with someone? Our emotions have become mere emoticons? May be. 

I still wish and dream of the time when I walk in the rain or may be during sunset completely forgetting all about the smart phone or check ins! How wonderful it is to enjoy someone's company - how amazing it is to be filled with joy in someone's presence. But wait... do we enjoy being with someone without a smart phone today? Have we become too shallow to be emotional? Or we are just too scared revealing ourselves?

May be we are scared. Scared to be our true selves.

Still I am optimist! I still wait for a sunset. I still wait for some rain. I still wait for the breeze and the smell of the earth. When I am disconnected from the tech world or the smart world. When I am just myself. Enjoying my being. That’s what I call LOVE.

See, an evening stroll evoked so much of love in me!





No comments: