Friday, January 29, 2016

Pondicherried !

The much celebrated time of the year, New Year eve.

The city of joy looked gorgeous yet my soul craved for something different. And I could feel I need some sea breeze pampering my hair… the smell of sands and yeah… a new place.

I somehow love unplanned trips.  So unplanned that I myself am unsure of the destination.  So I booked my tickets few hours before I started my journey.

Destination, Chennai.

31st night !!! I was in the flight and surrounded by completely unknown co-passengers.  The clock indicated 0000 hours in flight.  And almost everyone was fast asleep. Anyway.

Just imagine reaching Chennai airport at 1am! A strange city. And stranger the language.  Yes I had some doubt on my mind, would I be able to manage without knowing the local language?

Thankfully I did.

After roaming around in the airport for some time, I realized I need some sleep.  Walked straight to the Fast Track cabs counter at airport. Asked for help, asked them to find me a next by transit hotel.
Meanwhile I looked for rooms online as well.

The Fast Track counter guy helped me with his known hotel.  It was Oyo room. Pretty sad still ok for few hours’ sleep! By that time I decided my destination. Pondicherry.

While sitting in the airport, I didn’t hesitate to ask from the people around about Pondicherry – how to reach, how long it takes and where to take bus from. Well, two friends of mind who were in Tamil Nadu. They helped me with relevant information.

I stayed somewhere in my hotel within 2km from the airport, at GST Road. A small and very basic hotel it was. However, for me, it was just matter for 2/3 hours.

I started my trip around 7am from Chennai. Got my bus for Pondicherry around 7:30am. It was a local green color bus. No prior booking was required. I got into the bus and luckily, got a seat too! The fare from Chennai to Pondicherry was Rs 79!!!  Made me happy.

 There are two ways to reach Pondicherry from Chennai. 1. Via GST road (through NH 45) 2. Though East Coast Road.

While going, I took GST road. It was a shorter route.  It took exactly 3 hours to reach Pondicherry. By the way, the bus didn’t give a loo break in between!

Chennai was hot! However, it was nice to feel the changing weather as I was entering Pondicherry. It became somewhat, soothing!

Now reaching Pondicherry without any booking on 1st day of the year, it would have been silly to expect any room to be available. At least the good ones.

However, finally I found myself a room. Again a very basic room at heritage Town at connected to MG Road and just 4/5 minutes’ walk from the beach! Pondicherry itself is a small town which can be explored by walk. Its pleasant walking, especially on the first week in January!

After getting fresh, I just started walking. From my hotel to the beach. It was absolutely serene – the mustard colors houses, the clean roads, people cycling and walking – the clear blue sky and the pleasant sun! It was exactly what I wished for.

If you ask me, what all one can do at Pondicherry? If one should just cover one point to the other? My personal views will be, NO.  Just enjoy somewhat bohemian, somewhat spiritual, somewhat calmness of the place.

I didn’t make any itinerary for Pondicherry. I just kept walking and exploring. First thing that took my heart away was the architecture – a beautiful fusion of French and Tamil architecture.

While walking down, I came across various food joints – you can enjoy different kind of food. Indian, French, continental, organic – just name it and you will get it.  And almost all the food joints serve pretty scrumptious food.

How did I try food there? I just randomly got into restaurants and cafes and tried food. Be it Indian, French, Italian, Korean, Japanese, Chettinad, Chinese or Continental – name it and you will get it. Just explore each and every lane of the town. Mostly you will get everything within French colony, MG Road, Heritage Town.

The town doesn’t have rush. It was amazing to sit, read books looking at the road or even at the sea and enjoy the meal. I enjoyed doing that. In Pondicherry, the best part is, you can get affordable as well as luxurious food. Whatever, your pocket is comfortable with.

During the day time, while walking around the French colony, I had my food at Le CafĂ© facing rock beach. Sitting in a quiet corner (Though it was crowded being 1st day of the year).

My first half was spent roaming in and around French colony and MG road. While walking around, I found Immaculate Conception Cathedral. A beautiful white church!

 In the evening I headed to Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus which is near the railway station. I reached exactly at the right time. I witnessed the 1st January Mass from the beginning till the end; it was beautiful even when I didn’t understand the language. All I can say is, there are certain feelings which cannot be expressed. They are meant just to feel!

It was a pure bliss to be there on 1st January. Due to Mass, it was filled with disciples.

Post the mass, I started walking through MG Road to my hotel. On the way, you can find many food joints; you can try any of them. Specially if you want to enjoy the local cuisine.  I went to Indian Coffee House at J.N. Street. You can get the best of South Indian food there!

Well, there was a very old Kofi bar, KBS Kofi barr  ( a small shop who sells coffee and tea) near to my hotel – even though I am not a coffee person, the aroma literally fascinated me to have a cup of coffee. Trust me, I found it heaven! I tried the same next day too. Just Rs 20 / cup!

Since I had walked the whole day, I had an amazing sound sleep J The weather was pleasant. Neither hot nor cold!

The second day, I planned for Auroville. Well, one fact that many people do not know is it’s not in Pondicherry. It’s in Tamil Nadu. However, Auroville is very close to Pondichery, half an hour by an auto! On the way, I just wished to have Kothu Parotta. It’s one of the most favourite dishes when I am in Tamil Nadu. And where did I have it? I just asked the auto driver to take me to a local dhaba. Trust me that’s the best way to have local food, sitting amidst the local people without understanding anything that they were talking! I just relished my Kothu Parotta, followed by coffee ( or kofi, as they say).

Well, since I went there for a very short time, I could only walk around Matri Mandir which most of the people do. However, the place is all about experiencing and soaking into the nature. It is quiet, serene and pure. You just can be yourself. May be, you re discover yourself! There are some places on the earth, they are so natural and so pure, and you just transform yourself into a more evolved being.

Yes, if I visit there again, I will stay there for a week at least.

Matri Mandir itself is a wonder. I believe, to enter the mandir, you need prior booking. If you are planning to stay, do contact them before hand and complete your booking, seek guidance on what all you can do there to experience the place in the best possible way. They sell many handicrafts – I bought some incense and candles! Indeed they are overpriced and you will get them all at Pondicherry near Ashram!

Inside auroville, you will find some gem of eateries who serve fresh and organic food.  Few of them are Well CafeNaturellement, Frite Corner Farm Fresh, Le Morgan, Solitude Farm, auroville bakery!

After auroville, I went to Chunnambar boat house. You will get boats there to go to Paradise beach. Well, the place was over crowded as it was just the beginning of a year. The beach didn’t impress me much. It was a normal beach with a small shack with overpriced food. The boats take around Rs 100 to drop you at the beach and pick you up from there. If you are an explorer, you may give this a miss! 

If you like having some chilled beer sitting at the beach, go ahead! And then in the evening I visited Eglise de notre Dame des Anges. It’s a beautiful French church. The color of the church is the most distinctive one – it’s pink! A very quiet church with mesmerizing architect. The windows have glass painting and with the sun rays hitting on them create a beautiful reflection. I spent some good time sitting in peace there.  

My last two destinations in Pondicherry were Ashram. Well, if you are into meditation, this is the best place for you. No gadgets. No camera. No words. Just silence is all you can have!

They have a good collection on spiritual and philosophical books. So yes, I ended up buying some!  

Just next to the ashram is  Arulmigu Manakula Vinayagar Temple. A beautiful Ganesh temple with so many variations of lord Ganesha! The temple has beautiful painting all over. Heard it’s a very old temple and establish around 1666, much before the French came. When you enter the temple, you can see an elephant giving it’s blessings to everyone who is either giving it some money or food. Just note, the elephant is so well trained that it just gives everything to its master immediately!

About my dinner, I had fish pizza at Intalia! Yes, you heard it right, fish pizza. They have variety of fusion pizza starting from Tuna, fish and lot more! Try them if you visit Pondicherry.

Next day, I had my breakfast with egg dosai and started for Chennai!  Pondicherry was good to me. People were cordial and helpful.

I wish I could have spent more time there. May be next time.

So, from my trip, I can share a few important notes, especially to solo travellers:

1.       It’s ok to travel without a plan! Just enjoy every moment – whatever comes!
2.       You need help? Just ask for it. you will get it
3.       Try experimenting with everything
4.       Don’t be too fussy on rooms and food! Just ensure safety and hygiene  
5.       Keep your mobile charged! Google helps! It really does
6.       If you have any local friends, ask them for guidance
7.       Don’t make point to point visiting places. Explore what you wish!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

U rock. u just rock. Hats off